Re: Engagement of The Coles Firm (the "Firm")
Thank you for request to engage the Firm in connection with review of your contractual employment/severance agreement (the “Matter”). As a matter of Firm policy, it is required that the Firm provide you with this engagement letter in order to set out the specific terms that will be applicable to the representation including the terms set forth in this letter (the "Engagement Letter").
Specifically, the following terms and provisions will apply to this engagement:
- For each document to be reviewed, the Firm will charge you a fixed $500.00 fee (“Fee). In the event the Firm is unable or unwilling to review your document, the Firm will refund your Fee. If, however, the Firm is willing and able to review your document, the Fee shall be deemed earned when paid and is non-refundable.
- The Firm represents several employers and will review your request for representation and perform a conflict check prior to reviewing your document(s). If the Firm determines that a potential or actual conflict exists that would prevent the Firm from accepting the Matter for representation, the Firm will refund your Fee. You expressly agree and acknowledge that the Firm has not and will not represent you unless and until the Firm confirms no actual or potential conflict exists. In the event such a conflict exists, you further expressly agree and acknowledge that the Firm shall remain able to represent the opposing party and no conflict of interest shall be created by virtue of the Firm considering representing you in the Matter.
- While no third-party expenses are anticipated in connection with this Matter, you will be responsible for the Firm's regular expense charges in connection with the engagement, should they arise. The Firm will advance those expenses, excluding your personal travel, with such amounts to be reimbursed by you.
- As is true with all legal services, we cannot and do not guarantee the results of our representation. We make no express warranties concerning this transaction, and disclaim any implied warranties concerning it.
- You have requested that the scope of our engagement be limited to review of your proposed agreement. Therefore, the Firm is not to be responsible for any other matters, including unrelated litigation advice, probate matters, or other legal issues. Should you desire to enlarge the scope of the engagement in the future, we are willing to discuss with you the terms that would be applicable.
- Texas law requires that all attorneys provide their clients with the following notice about the existence of the attorney grievance process: “The State Bar of Texas investigates and prosecutes professional misconduct committed by Texas attorneys. Although not every complaint against or dispute with a lawyer involves professional misconduct, the State Bar’s Office of Chief Disciplinary Counsel will provide you with information about how to file a complaint. Please call 1-800-932-1900 toll-free for more information.”
Thank you for allowing the Firm to be of service to you in connection with this Matter. If the provisions above meet with your approval, please so indicate by clicking the box “Agreed.”
Very truly yours,
THE COLES FIRM
Michael E. Coles
Ready to proceed?